OSC LaunchPad support for innovative businesses
The Innovation Office assists, fosters, and where possible, tests innovative business models and methods in capital formation, transaction and service efficiency and fairness. The Innovation Office builds on the foundation established by OSC LaunchPad, which has worked directly with over 300 new and innovative firms since 2016, helping them to navigate securities laws.
As a part of the Innovation Office, the LaunchPad team continues their hands-on work within the Innovation Office’s broader mandate to deepen engagement with the innovation community and build a stronger ecosystem. The Innovation Office brings together insights from working with the fintech and other innovation communities across Ontario to further the OSC’s progress in making regulation more efficient.
We are interested in hearing from businesses that meet the following
- You are a fintech business that has not yet started operations or is
in the process of applying to the OSC for registration or for exemptive relief.
- You have a new innovation or significantly different product or service from those currently available.
- Your innovation will likely
provide identifiable benefits to investors. You understand the necessity of investor protections and will invest time and energy in understanding and addressing them.
- You acknowledge the application of securities laws and have considered how it applies to your business.
Submit a request
If your company meets the criteria above, complete and submit the online request for support form.
Timeline for direct support
We will acknowledge your request within two working days.
If your business is eligible for OSC LaunchPad support, we will reach out to schedule a telephone call or in-person meeting within 10 working days.
If your business is not eligible, we’ll provide feedback and an explanation.
If your business is eligible for support, a telephone call or in-person meeting will be held. Generally, we try to hold these meetings within 20 working days of receiving your request.
After this meeting, we will continue to offer support for an additional 20 days, during which time we may ask you to provide us with additional materials or a filing.
Failing to provide documents
These timelines assume your responsiveness and the completeness of responses, to our team’s requests for information and comment letters. If we do not receive the requested additional materials/filing, we will generally consider the file to be dormant and will take steps to close it.
If we are unable to deal with your matter within our target timeline, we commit to keeping you informed of our progress.
Depending on your proposed business, the next steps may require that you file one or all of the following:
- a registration application
- an exemptive relief application
- an application for recognition as an exchange or approval as an alternative trading system to obtain approval to test your products, services, and applications
In order to foster innovation, we will work to expedite these filings, provided that the application is complete and accurate. This means that:
- it is of acceptable quality and contains the necessary information
- any form requirements (e.g., offering memorandum form requirements) are met
- all applicable fees have been paid
- supporting documentation (e.g., onboarding screenshots) have been provided
- investor protection and other policy concerns are addressed
- guidance outlined in other regulatory publications have been incorporated, such as staff notices, news releases, email blasts, and investor alerts
Timing may be impacted if you would like to operate in multiple Canadian jurisdictions.
Additional information about making a request
By submitting a request for support, you acknowledge that:
- submitting a request or meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee that you will receive support from the OSC
- the level and type of support offered is determined on a case-by-case basis
- the support that you receive is informal assistance from OSC staff and does not guarantee that your business will be able to comply with securities regulation
- it is possible that your request could be best handled by another branch at the OSC, which we will advise you upon receiving your request
- you will be responsive to OSC staff requests and if we do not receive the requested additional materials or filings within 20 working days, we will generally consider the request for support process to be
OSC LaunchPad will not provide:
- financial support
- legal, tax, or accounting advice
- business strategies
- guidance on other regulated industries that may apply to your business model, such as banking or insurance
Other support available
OSC LaunchPad also provides support in the form of regulatory and cross-border testing. Contact OSC LaunchPad with any questions:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (416) 596-4266 (Local) or 1-844-405-1339 (Canada toll-free)