Franklin Templeton Investments Corp. and Franklin Global Aggregate Bond Fund
National Policy 11-203 Process for Exemptive Relief Applications in Multiple Jurisdictions -- Relief granted to fund for extension of the lapse date of prospectus -- Filer to incorporate offering of the funds under the same offering documents when they are renewed -- Extension of lapse date will not affect the currency or accuracy of the information contained in the prospectuses.
Applicable Legislative Provisions
Securities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. S. 5, as am., ss. 62(5).
February 3, 2021
IN THE MATTER OF THE SECURITIES LEGISLATION OF ONTARIO (the Jurisdiction) AND IN THE MATTER OF THE PROCESS FOR EXEMPTIVE RELIEF APPLICATIONS IN MULTIPLE JURISDICTIONS AND IN THE MATTER OF FRANKLIN TEMPLETON INVESTMENTS CORP. (the Filer) AND IN THE MATTER OF FRANKLIN GLOBAL AGGREGATE BOND FUND (the Fund)
The principal regulator in the Jurisdiction has received an application from the Filer on behalf of the Fund for a decision under the securities legislation of the Jurisdiction (the Legislation) that the time limits for the renewal of the simplified prospectus of the Fund dated April 27, 2020 (the Current Prospectus) be extended to the time limits that would apply if the lapse date of the Current Prospectus was June 26, 2021 (the Requested Relief).
Under the Process for Exemptive Relief Applications in Multiple Jurisdictions (for a passport application):
(a) the Ontario Securities Commission is the principal regulator for this application; and
(b) the Filer has provided notice that subsection 4.7(1) of Multilateral Instrument 11-102 -Passport System (MI 11-102) is intended to be relied upon in each of the other provinces and territories of Canada (together with Ontario, the Canadian Jurisdictions).
Terms defined in National Instrument 14-101 -- Definitions and MI 11-102 have the same meaning if used in this decision, unless otherwise defined.
This decision is based on the following facts represented by the Filer:
1. The Filer is a corporation governed by the laws of Ontario with its head office in Toronto, Ontario.
2. The Filer is registered as: (i) an investment fund manager in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador; (ii) as a mutual fund dealer, portfolio manager and exempt market dealer in each province of Canada and the Yukon territory, and (iii) as a commodity trading manager in Ontario.
3. The Filer is the trustee and investment fund manager of the Fund and the trustee and investment fund manager of 43 other mutual funds as listed in Schedule A (the Franklin Templeton Funds).
4. Neither the Filer nor the Fund are in default of securities legislation in any of the Canadian Jurisdictions.
5. The Fund is an open-ended mutual fund trust established under the laws of Ontario. The Fund is a reporting issuer in each of the Canadian Jurisdictions.
6. Securities of the Fund are currently qualified for distribution in each of the Canadian Jurisdictions under the Current Prospectus.
7. The lapse date for the Current Prospectus is April 27, 2021 (the Current Lapse Date). Accordingly, under the Legislation, the distribution of securities of the Fund would have to cease on its applicable Current Lapse Date unless: (i) the Fund files a pro forma simplified prospectus at least 30 days prior to its Current Lapse Date; (ii) the final simplified prospectus is filed no later than 10 days after its Current Lapse Date; and (iii) a receipt for the final simplified prospectus is obtained within 20 days after its Current Lapse Date.
8. The Filer wishes to combine the Current Prospectus with the Franklin Templeton Funds' simplified prospectus dated June 26, 2020 (the Main Prospectus), to reduce renewal, printing, and related costs. Offering the Fund under the same renewal simplified prospectus and annual information form of the Franklin Templeton Funds (the Consolidated Prospectus Documents) would facilitate the distribution of the Fund in the Canadian Jurisdictions under the same prospectus and will ensure that the Filer can make the operational and administrative features of the Fund consistent with all the other Franklin Templeton Funds, if necessary.
9. The Filer wishes to extend the lapse date of the Current Prospectus to move the renewal timeframe to a more administratively beneficial date. The Filer believes that June 26, 2021 is an administratively beneficial lapse date, as it allows the Filer to create a more optimal and consistent workload for its personnel in respect of the work required to prepare and file the prospectus (and related documents) and the continuous disclosure materials of the Fund.
10. Establishing a uniform disclosure timeline for the Fund will enable the Filer to streamline operations and disclosure across the Filer's fund platform. The Fund and the Franklin Templeton Funds share many common operational and administrative features and combining them in the same simplified prospectuses will allow investors to compare the features of the funds more easily.
11. Given that the Current Lapse Date is at the end of April 2021, an extension of the Current Lapse Date to June 26, 2021 is minimal and is not disadvantageous to the Fund's investors.
12. If the Requested Relief is not granted, it will be necessary to renew the Fund's prospectus documents twice within a short period of time to consolidate the prospectus documents and establish a uniform filing timeline for the Fund, and it would be unreasonable for the Filer to incur the costs and expenses associated therewith, given investors would not be prejudiced by the Requested Relief.
13. There have been no material changes in the affairs of the Fund since the date of the Current Prospectus. Accordingly, the Current Prospectus and current fund facts document(s) for the Fund, continue to provide accurate information regarding the Fund.
14. Given the disclosure obligations of the Filer and the Fund, should any material change in the business, operations or affairs of the Fund occur, the Current Prospectus and current fund facts document(s) of the Fund will be amended as required under the Legislation.
15. New investors of the Fund will receive delivery of the most recently filed fund facts document(s) of the Fund. The Current Prospectus will remain available to investors upon request.
16. The Requested Relief will not affect the accuracy of the information contained in the Current Prospectus or the respective fund facts document(s) of the Fund and will therefore not be prejudicial to the public interest.
The principal regulator is satisfied that the decision meets the test set out in the Legislation for the principal regulator to make the decision.
The decision of the principal regulator under the Legislation is that the Requested Relief is granted.
Manager, Investment Funds and Structured Products Branch
Franklin ActiveQuant Canadian Fund
Franklin ActiveQuant U.S. Fund
Franklin Bissett Canada Plus Equity Fund
Franklin Bissett Canadian Balanced Fund
Franklin Bissett Canadian Bond Fund
Franklin Bissett Canadian Dividend Fund
Franklin Bissett Canadian Equity Fund
Franklin Bissett Canadian Government Bond Fund
Franklin Bissett Core Plus Bond Fund
Franklin Bissett Corporate Bond Fund
Franklin Bissett Dividend Income Fund
Franklin Bissett Money Market Fund
Franklin Bissett Monthly Income and Growth Fund
Franklin Bissett Short Duration Bond Fund
Franklin Bissett Small Cap Fund
Franklin Canadian Core Equity Fund
Franklin Conservative Income ETF Portfolio
Franklin Core ETF Portfolio
Franklin Emerging Markets Core Equity Fund
Franklin Global Growth Fund
Franklin Growth ETF Portfolio
Franklin High Income Fund
Franklin International Core Equity Fund
Franklin Mutual Global Discovery Fund
Franklin Quotential Balanced Growth Portfolio
Franklin Quotential Balanced Income Portfolio
Franklin Quotential Diversified Equity Portfolio
Franklin Quotential Diversified Income Portfolio
Franklin Quotential Growth Portfolio
Franklin Strategic Income Fund
Franklin U.S. Core Equity Fund
Franklin U.S. Monthly Income Fund
Franklin U.S. Opportunities Fund
Franklin U.S. Rising Dividends Fund
FT Balanced Growth Private Wealth Pool
FT Balanced Income Private Wealth Pool
FT Growth Private Wealth Pool
Templeton Emerging Markets Fund
Templeton Global Balanced Fund
Templeton Global Bond Fund
Templeton Global Bond Fund (Hedged)
Templeton Global Smaller Companies Fund
Templeton International Stock Fund