Ongoing requirements

Firms registered with the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) are subject to many ongoing requirements, such as:

The OSC conducts compliance reviews to monitor whether firms are complying with securities law.

In addition to securities law, registered firms and individuals are required to comply with the Criminal Code of Canada and all other legal requirements relevant to the operation of their business, such as money laundering prevention, corporation regulations, partnership and trust laws, and privacy rights.

Investment dealers and mutual fund dealers

A firm registered as an investment dealer or a mutual fund dealer is generally required to be a member of a self-regulatory organization (SRO). In general, a firm carrying on more than one type of activity requiring registration must register in each applicable category. The firm will have to comply with the requirements of all categories in which it is registered.

A firm that is a member of an SRO and its dealing representatives are exempt from certain requirements as per National Instrument 31-103 Registration Requirements, Exemptions and Ongoing Registrant Obligations (NI 31-103). This is because the SRO has its own rules for these matters.

If a firm is registered in multiple categories, it must meet the most stringent of the proficiency requirements for the firm’s various categories of registration.

The Canadian Investment Regulatory Organization (CIRO) (formerly New Self-Regulatory Organization of Canada (New SRO)), works with the OSC to oversee investment dealers and mutual fund dealers. Refer to the CIRO website for more information about the additional rules that apply to members. The two predecessor SROs, the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA), amalgamated to continue as the New SRO, effective January 1, 2023, which subsequently changed its name to CIRO on June 1, 2023.

A firm may be both an investment dealer and mutual fund dealer (dual registered firm) if they are a member of CIRO. If you have any questions or are interested in applying for registration as a dual registered firm, please contact your principal regulator and CIRO.